Kickstarter Spotlight returns, yet again, for another installment. The #IndieDev community is flourishing at this point in time but there are still struggles to get their projects out to us, the consumer, is still a very tough one to overcome. Kickstarter, Indiegogo and others like it exist for this purpose. There are so many potential picks that one can choose from in a given week but I like to highlight specific games, comics, movies, etc. that have true potential. This week's featured pick? Bedlam.
Skyshine Games, based in Austin, TX, was founded by some truly talented individuals from around the industry. Veterans who've worked on AAA titles like John Mueller (formerly of Vigil Studios), Jeff Johnson (NBA Showtime, Blitz, etc) and the former Lead Visual Effects Artist for the sorely underplayed Darksiders games. Kevin Riepel provides the game's score (Gears of War, Unreal series, ABC's of Death, Clemency) as well. There is a definite pedigree of excellence behind Bedlam.
You'll play as a Mechanic and, along with a crew of other heroes, will pilot the wastes in a Dozer. Think of it is a fortress on wheels that can be heavily modified and upgraded for combat purposes, resource management and so forth. Here are some of the game's numerous features.
- Our unique blitz battle system! Turn-based combat with swift play, over-the-top animations, action point based movement and attack system, environments andbattles gradually affect your crew, crew-buffing Dozer upgrades, and tide-changing Dozer weapons!
- Roguelike influences and RPG features, including randomly generated encounters and discoveries, meaningful permadeath, three different supplies to manage, crew veteran rankings and incredible replay value.
- Dozers, the gargantuan rolling fortresses covered in armor and weapons to protect passengers and crew during the journey through Bedlam.
- Four unique enemy factions: Marauders, Mutants, Cyborgs and the A.I. - all with their own strengths and weaknesses.
- “Double-Down” (a New game+): Travel back through Bedlam for the opportunity to defeat merciless overlord King Viscera and his minions for untold riches... or the sacrifice of everything!
One of the best things about Bedlam aside from the fact that it looks like an engaging rogue-like post-apocalyptic RPG? It makes use of the proprietary Banner Saga engine. I don't know if I can wax poetic enough about that game's mechanics/engine but for Skyshine to make use of it only propels what already appears to be a very promising game into "must-play" territory.
We're at the 9 day mark, as of this posting, until funding ends on the current campaign. They're getting ever closer to their goal but still need some help to get pushed over the top. Let's get this game made, folks. This title, in a sea of boring rogue-likes and Fallout clones has personality and the industry chops behind it to be something special. Zeitgeeks approved! You can find the project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyshinegames/bedlam
Know of other really great projects that deserve to have a light cast upon them? Let me know in the comments below, hit me up via email or on Twitter (@ScrivenerJeff)